The ideal SQL Server DBA candidate should have at least 3-5 years of experience with SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2005 and a fair knowledge about SQL Server 2014. This position is targeted for both dedicated support roles and short term reactive support and proactive engagements where overnight travel is required. Travel requirements vary regionally and could be as much as 40-70%. They must be available for travel dispatch 24x7x365. The candidate should already have current Malaysia work authorization and live within Malaysia or be willing to relocate.
- Installation, Administration and Maintenance of SQL Server Instances.
- Setup Test, Dev, Staging and Production Environments.
- Create Users and assign permissions based on the level of database access the user would need.
- Create Linked Servers to SQL Servers and other databases such as Oracle, Access, Informix etc.
- Design database Backup and Restoration Strategy.
- Once created the database Backups, monitor those backups are being performed regularly.
- From time to time recover the databases to a specific point of time, as per the requests.
- Setup High-Availability as part Disaster Recovery Strategy for the Databases.
- Troubleshoot various problems that arise in a day-to-day work and fix the issues.
- Monitoring and Performance Tuning; Physical Server Level, Database level (Database settings and options) and query tuning. (Creating and maintaining those Indexes, not performing database shrinking, memory settings, monitoring CPU usage and Disk I/O activity etc)
- Documenting major changes to the SQL Servers.
- Apply Service Packs.
- Deliver timely and high quality solutions to customer problems and requests focusing on root cause analysis, prevention, knowledge transfer, and opportunity generation. Manage escalations and sub-cases to ensure timely and high quality resolution of all issues.
- Develop and implement strategies for providing facilitative support resulting in fewer incidents, increased availability, or accelerated deployments.
- Develop relationships with technical directors or lead architects for the technology you support resulting in more participation in planning and improved satisfaction in support consulting.
- Partner with Premier Technical Account Managers to effectively manage hot-sites including documented action plans and daily status updates for the customer and Microsoft management.
- Develop working relationships within the Organization that result in increased cooperation and mutual support in fulfilling our customer mission.
- Execute formal post-mortem process on closure of critical issues.
- Initiate and participate in triage meetings to share knowledge with other engineers and to efficiently resolve customer problems.
Required Skills and Experience:
Experience with the following technologies:
- SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005.
- Exposure to and some knowledge about SQL Server 2014
- Fair knowledge on Windows clustering – Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2012 and Windows 2012 R2.
- Deep technical knowledge/experience on SQL HA/DR solutions.
- Understanding of Data Platform Security
- Practical experience troubleshooting performance problems, query tuning and optimization.
- Experience delivering and/or authoring technical training
- College degree, preferably in Computer Science. Will consider related equivalent experience.
- Ability to work independently with minimal management supervision
- Ability to manage challenging technical issues by setting customer expectations, devising and implementing action plans, being available 24×7 and professionally communicating to all parties involved.
- SQL programming skills in one of the following: SQL, VB, C#
- Experiences with SQL Server Integration Services, Reporting Services, Analysis Services,
- Active Directory (architecture, design, disaster recovery and troubleshooting), IIS and ISA.
- Debugging skills in the Windows Platform
- Up to date with Windows 7/8/10 client
- Experience with network captures and network troubleshooting
- PowerShell V2 skills including scripting